Every Monday during 2022, I am posting an update on what I spent for the week as a way of keeping myself accountable for my No/Low Buy Year. Also, in order to see my true savings, I am also tracking items I was tempted to buy but didn’t.
Well, what can I say? An upcoming trip, weight gain, clothes that don’t fit, a constant search for shoes that work with my broken foot, and a son who is deployed. I shopped both online and in person. I was a little stressed this week.
I have come to realize that when I’m stressed not only do I over eat, but I over spend. I am becoming keenly aware of it and caught myself…sort of. The purchases below do not reflect what I originally spent, but only the things I kept and actually wanted/needed.
What I spent February 21st – February 28th:
- RED t-shirts: $79.76. (If you are so inclined, please pray for my son’s safety as well as all those who are deployed. He is a on a naval destroyer ship and with things going on in the world as they are, it’s been a stressful time for this Mama.)
- Clothes & Accessories: $447.53 (includes shoes, undergarments, jeans and summer wear for both my husband and myself). Ouch.
- Groceries: $118.83
- Eating Out: $62.30
- Household/Personal Care: $45.99
- Spontaneous Giving: $144.26
- Pets/Auggie: $49.65 (replacement prong collar and latch — this pup needs continual training!)
Total spending for the week: $868.56
Okay, so that was a lot lower than I thought, but still high for a No/Low Buy Year. I’ll have to reign it in a bit in March to stay within my budget for the year.
Things I almost purchased but didn’t:
- Wooden food storage bag containers: $49.99
- Pajamas: $50.00
- All the clothes I returned: $431.00!
I’m kind of laughing at the things I almost purchased. I don’t need pajamas at all. In fact, my pajama drawer is already too full. And the wooden food storage bag containers? So cool, but so unnecessary. Besides, they were on Amazon, and I’m not doing Amazon. I came to my senses and returned most of an online clothes order.
Total spent: $3,761.74 ($1,468 was Auggie’s surgery, and misc. stuff needed for him)
Total I almost spent: $785.00
My takeaway for February:
- I stayed under my food budget.
- I continued to bless others with giving.
- I had the money already set aside for neuter surgery.
- I could have spent way more on clothing/shoes, etc. but held off.
- I spent way too much money on clothes and eating out.
I don’t like my impulsive behavior when I’m stressed. I’m hoping in March I can start walking my daily 3 miles which always makes me feel better, and less likely to snack and spend.
How did you do in February?